Saturday, February 16, 2008

My 6th grade Woes

Doesn't every girl dream of being that popular girl at school some time in their life? Well I did and I got to be that girl. 6th grade is young for what i had become.
so the start of 6th grade was fantastic. I had my 2 best friends "sally" and "molly" with me and we were going to make this year super cool because it was our last year at the elementary school we had grown up with and come to love. Little did we know that things would go terribly wrong
The 1st thing that started a chain of horrible events was finding out what classes we would be in. "sally" and "molly" got to go to "mrs.b"'s room and i was sent to "mr.g"'s. we were separated and i began to notice that "sally" and "molly" became closer and closer while i drifted away.
Then i met "rebecca".
thats when it all began
Her and her best friend "kate" were what people would call "popular". they were known by everybody, the teachers loved them, and they had boyfriends. yes, boyfriends, and they were in 6th grade.So i started to hang out with them. they got me into really girly stuff like the color pink and purple(my favorite color before was blue), they got me into wearing mini-skirts like everyday even during the middle of winter, and the thing i find most embarrassing, they got me to like lip gloss.
Now this wasn't just a put some lip gloss on in the morning, it was all 3 of us bringing our own boxes filled to the top with lip gloss and reapplying it every 10 minuets, im serious. The 1st thing we would do right when the bell rang for break and lunch was go straight to the bathroom to check our lip gloss and reapply it. And then we all got matching pink converse. And we all wore matching out fits on certain days. Then :sally" and "molly", they started hanging with us and became exactly the same. worst of all, everyone knew us as "The Pink Girls".
ya, i know...how lame could you get?
well these two were not the type of people you would want to hang out with
they were horrible to me. they called me things to my face and behind my back, they made fun of me non-stop, they used me, they were horrible. and i couldn't trust them with any of my secrets.
why did i stay with them?
i needed that rush of the feeling of people knowing me. i needed to stay that "popular girl". i needed it. i didn't care that my self-esteem was being crushed into little tiny bits, no one knew that i was so self-conscious except me.
so during this whole time of pink craziness, i had changed. when i started 6th grade i was the best friend anyone could ever ask for. i never told secrets, i never talked badly about my friends, i was a really good innocent person. But by the late-middle i was a rude,backstabbing, manipulative, preppy, bratty, bitch. I was even rude to my parents! I even started cussing every now and then. I had become a horrible monster.
so, the end comes and all of us "sally", "molly", "rebecca", "kate", and me were all backstabbing bitches that told everyones secrets and pretended to be best friends with each other. and then school ended
and i left my elementary school like that...but i left all that horrible baggage i had carried with me their. i never acted like that again, i changed over the summer. i had realized what a horrible person i had become. and i made positive changes in my life and i ditched those friends.
one of the funny things i thought of was, during all this, during my 6th grade year, the movie "Mean Girls" came out.
i just think that was so funny because our story is exactly like that. minus the drinking and sex ad stuff. but i was like the character lindsay lohan played. i had started out a nice innocent girl, and i let 2 horrible people turn me into someone just like them.
well today, im not that innocent girl who can be talked into being like someone else. I am strong girl who cares about people and the world and issues going on in our world. and i have 2 best friends that like me for me. i do cuss sometimes but i dont do it to try to act like someone, i do it because thats just what comes out of my mouth sometimes.
i don't want any other little innocent 6th grade girls to go through what i did
i really hated my life back then. i hated everyone around me,but i loved that attention, i loved that happiness someone got from learning a new juicy secret that i had told. and i loved being happy during those short times. but i was sad most of the time.
so moral of the story(you can quote me lol)-don't change yourself to have people like you more and like your outside, because you rotting on the inside. NEWSFLASH: you don't live to please others!
*names have been changed to protect the innocent and the guilty*

No comments: